Sunday, July 1, 2007

What US does to you!

And you thought..coming to US would make you a more 'happening' person.. Hah! Here's a short post of sorts (after a long hiatus) on some of the ways I've changed since I've come to amreeka.

1. I can actually converse in Hindi! ( Although i still think it's a very funny language.. who the hell thought of genders for objects.. It's definitely not making the learning process any easier for me)

2. I have watched more no. of hindi films in the past one year than in my entire lifetime.

3. I can cook! (Rasam, Sambhar, Chkn.. you name it ;) Reading Cookery books is my fav hobby, next only to sleeping). My culinary expertize was limited to making tea until last year.

4. I've had more number of burgers and pizzas in India than in US.

5. I feast on Maggi and Parle-G biscuits.

6. I've learnt how to keep up a conversation on weather for atleast an hour (Americans dig this!)

7. I have zero Non-Desi friends! ( sigggh! )

I have turned into my parents' idea of an ideal daughter.. and it sucks big time!

Current mood : Contemplative

20 comments:

Anas Siddiqui said...

your not making it any exciting for people planning to come to US!

but hindi?? i gotto hear this!!

Gaurav said...

The zero non-desi friend thing is more of a technie grad student thing. If you arent a techie, then you have no option but to make non-desi friends. :)

Hitashi said...

One thing more...
The change in Breakfast Menu
Spicy Upma's, Dosa, Chapati n etc. --------> Mithi Roti(Pancake with Maple Syrup).
She has learned to have same mithi roti daily.... n she loves it... :P

Sowmya said...

Shreyaa! Blogger link on orkut is pretty cool eh. And whats cooler is to find a new post the day you click on the link! :)
Nice post. What else goes into the parents version of an ideal daughter btw?
Do they say,'Bad girl,i'll send you off to amreeeca if you do that again' these days? :)

shreya said...

@Anas : You're in for a surprise ;)
And regarding the rest of the stuff, as gaurav mentioned, it's mainly coz i'm a techie grad!

@Gaurav : Lucky you, you're doing an MBA! :)

@Hitashi : I can't help it if it tastes so good (Also good for my pocket ;) )

@Sowmya : I seriously believe that if you want to make someone a true indian, kick them out of india :D

why don't i see any blog from you btw? you better start posting girl :)

lt said...

:D good good - mom and dad will be impressed. Also non-desi apart, what % of your friends are male?

About making non-desi friends...it is a must have :P and who needs to be in the lousy smeal group anyway...you can join random clubs @psu to do that. OR you can crash a lousy MBA tailgate:D the food is goooooood.

I am sure you will do it this year!

lt said...

And hey your blog title brings images of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie to mind:P

p said...

where do u get parle g?

archana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
archana said...

lol.. good one shreya! tats so true.. only thing is in my case i have actually started conversing in kannada! :)

DG said...

i agree with u sooo much.... except the rasam, sambar, chicken part... :D

also, in my case... my accent just got "desi"-er than before! damn!

Ashwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashwin said...

interesting... i'm bookmarked on your blog :)

point to note in my case:
** i've tried to speak hindi, but my friends usually switch to english as soon as i enter the room!

Susu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susu said...

had some "desi"st comment up!! thot I shud remove it:-p well how about me changin u a lil... introduce u to some amroos... Mike per say...

Unknown said...

listen india or amerika which ever you say , freinds are allways there to chere u up - then what if they are desi or amerike. Enjoy the life lady- that should be the goal, u never no what comes next.

ALl the very best

KC said...

Ha ha.....U knw what? Even i think on smilar lines abt Hindi language :-).....Glad to know that I'm not the only one :)

Impressionist said...

lol!
turnin out be the ideal daughter your parents thought of really does suck! :P
heheh! I guess they are proud of u now! ;)
hehe
nice blog!

peace & love
Jeevy

Tickling Punnedit said...

good to know u've still deeply rooted urself to the Indian roots...not many can claim so highly about their originality once they reach the West....

kuddos!!!

Unknown said...

I noticed somethin in ur blog!! :-)

You spelt "expertize" with a "Z" and not an "s"!!! lol...did u even remember it's spelt with as "s" in India/British dictionary?!!
This place seriously drives u nuts!!

Waitin for your next blog!